The Tarring Market is held in the Old Palace annually, and is usually held on the last Saturday of the schools Summer Half-term break.
As a 'charter market' it has a long history, stretching back to 1444 when a royal charter granted permission for a market to be held in Tarring on Saturdays. The market flourished during the 16th century as one of the chief corn markets of the county, and by the 17th century Tarring was being described as a 'market town' (to distinguish its status from being a mere 'village').
With the commercial importance of neighbouring Worthing becoming ever more apparent in the 19th century, the market largely faded. In the 20th century, responsibility for the market was taken on by the Parochial Church Council, under whose governance the event is now a fun day raising funds for national and local charities.
Please see the Contacts page to find out who to speak to, if you would like to donate items for the market and/or run a stall.